Home Brew Challenge 2021: Competition Rules
Opening Time/Date: The Home Brew Challenge will commence at 12:00 pm on Monday 23rd November 2020.
Closing Time/Date: All entries must be submitted by no later than 11:59 pm on Monday 21st December 2020.
No. of Entries: Entrants may submit more than one recipe but must complete an entry form for each recipe entered.
Any entry Criteria: The Home Brew Challenge is open to UK residents aged 18 or over. Route to entry in this Promotion is via the following competition entry page on the Marston’s Brewery website (https://www.marstonsbrewery.co.uk/homebrewchallenge). Entrants are required to submit their recipe online at the above page.
The instructions provided at the point of entry form part of the terms and conditions of this promotion. In the event of a conflict, these terms and conditions take precedence
- The Promoter is Marston’s Beer Company Limited (company number FC037407) with its registered office at 22 Grenville Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE4 8PX (the “Promoter“).
- This Promotion is run in conjunction with Clarity PR Ltd (08425943) with its registered office at 18 Morland Place, Birmingham, West Midlands, B31 2PF (the “Administrator”).
- This Promotion is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 18 or over, except for employees/directors of the Promoter and the Administrator, such employees/directors’ immediate families/households or anyone else professionally involved with this promotion.
- This is an online promotion; internet access is required to participate.
- Entries must be submitted by the relevant Closing Time/Date.
- Entrants must not use a false name or email or provide any false information when entering this Promotion.
- There is no purchase necessary.
- Entrants may only enter the promotion via the Promoter’s website listed above. Entries via email, post or facsimile will not be accepted.
- Any entries which have been submitted using scripts, automated systems, collaborative practices or via a third party for commercial gain will be deemed invalid.
- Entrants may only enter the Promotion for personal non-commercial use only. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants. The Promoter may require such information as it considers reasonably necessary for this purpose and a prize may be withheld until the Promoter is satisfied with the verification.
- The Home Brew Challenge judges will review all recipes submitted by the Closing Time/Date which meet the entry requirements set out above. Entries will be judged by a panel made up of beer writer Pete Brown, beer influencers Tim Jones and Emma Inch as well as Pat McGinty, Head Brewer at Marston’s Brewery(Judges).
- Entries will be judged on the recipes submitted including the knowledge of brewing and beer styles shown in the entry, the use of ingredients, and creativity. The Judges will decide, at their absolute discretion, which recipes and entrants will proceed to the second round of the Home Brew Challenge (Shortlisted Entrants). Shortlisted Entrants will be contacted by email to notify them and advise entrants on the second part of the competition.
Phase 2 – Brewing and Submitting Shortlisted Beers
- Shortlisted Entrants will be notified by email that their recipe has been shortlisted.
- Each Shortlisted Entrant will be sent a box of empty beer bottles and sterilising agents along with a pre-paid courier label.
- Shortlisted Entrants will then brew the recipe for which they’ve been shortlisted (Shortlisted Beer). Once the brewing is complete, 6 bottles of the Shortlisted Beer must be sent to Home Brew Challenge, Marston’s Brewery, Shobnall Road, Burton upon Trent, DE14 2BG using the bottles and return box provided.
- Shortlisted Beer must be returned to the Promoter by Friday 19th February 2021. Any Shortlisted Beer that arrives after this date will not be judged and the entrant will be disqualified from the competition.
Phase 3 – The Judging of the Shortlisted Beers
- All Shortlisted Beer received by Friday 19th February 2021 will be entered into the judging element of the competition.
- The judging will take place on Monday 22nd February 2021.
- Shortlisted Beers will be judged on creativity, look, aroma, flavour and balance. The selection of the winning beers will be at the sole discretion of the Judges. No correspondence will be entered into in respect of the Judges’ decisions.
- The results of the Home Brew Challenge will be announced during the Marston’s Brewery Home Brew Academy, a virtual event that will take place on Saturday 27th February 2021. All entrants who submitted valid recipes in Phase 1 will be invited to attend via Zoom and will receive an email one week before the event with the details of how to login on the day.
The Home Brew Challenge Prizes
- There will be 3 prize winners. The first prize will be for the best overall beer with two runners up prizes. The first prize winner will be crowned The Marston’s Brewery Home Brewer of the Year 2021. Their prize will comprise of one £500 voucher to spend on brewing equipment with online retailer Balliihoo (www.baliihoo.co.uk). Their winning beer will also be brewed on the DE14 nano kit and sold in the Marston’s Brewery Shop at the Burton Brewery. The two runners-up will each receive a £250 voucher to spend on brewing equipment with online retailer Balliihoo (www.baliihoo.co.uk).
- Prizes are non-transferable, non-refundable and no cash equivalent is available.
- Whilst the Promoter will make every effort to honour the advertised Prize(s), the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute any prize with an alternative of a similar value if circumstances dictate this.
- In certain circumstances, the Promoter may, in its sole discretion, offer a cash alternative or transfer all or part of a Prize to a family member of a winner. Such circumstances may include (but are not limited to) the Prize being inappropriate for the age or health of the winner or no longer being available for circumstances beyond the Promoter’s reasonable control. In such circumstances, the Promoter may require the winner(s) to provide written confirmation of waiver of their entitlement and/or written acceptance from any transferee to comply with these terms and conditions.
Rules for Competition Entries
- All submissions/entries must comply with the following “Content Rules”:
- a) be in the English language;
- b) not name or refer to any individual other than the entrant (or include any third party personal information);
- c) not contain the image or likeness of any individual: (1) under the age of 18; or (2) other than the entrant without that individuals’ express consent;
- d) not contain any material that infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, including copyright infringement;
- e) not have been previously submitted in any other promotion or distributed previously in any media;
- f) not disparage or be harmful to the Promoter or any of its brands, employees/directors, customers or pubs;
- g) not in any way mention, refer or otherwise allude to the name, logo or trade mark of any entity, individual, product or brand other than those of the Promoter and its brands;
- h) not contain material that is inappropriate, contains nudity, is indecent, lewd, pornographic, obscene, illegal, unlawful, hateful, disparaging, defamatory, slanderous or libellous;
- i) not contain any swear words, offensive or vulgar language or other coarse language;
- j) not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, political belief, sexual orientation or age;
- k) not promote excessive or irresponsible drinking or illegal drugs or tobacco (or the use of any of the foregoing); and
- l) not contain any computer virus, bugs, Trojans or other malicious, invasive or harmful code.
Limits on the Promoter’s responsibilities and Indemnities
- Winners agree to be fully responsible for any personal or incidental expenses and/or tax liabilities incurred in claiming and using the prizes. The Promoter will not be responsible for any loss or injury resulting from entry into the Promotion or a winner’s acceptance and/or use of the Prize.
- Winners will be notified via email using the email address they submitted with their entry from. The Promoter will take all reasonable steps to contact the winning entrants to arrange for the organisation of the prize, but if there is no response within 14 days, or the contact details are invalid, the Promoter reserves the right to (randomly) re-allocate the prize without liability.
- The Promoter will not be responsible for losses, failures or delays relating to circumstances beyond its reasonable control including (but not limited to) acts of God, war, governmental action, pandemic or epidemic, strikes, disputes or the acts or defaults of any supplier of the prizes.
- The Promoter will not be responsible for any damage, loss or injury to an entrant that is not reasonably foreseeable. The Promoter’s responsibility for any damage, loss or injury to an entrant under these terms and conditions or otherwise in connection with the promotion shall be limited to the value of the prize won by the entrant.
- The Promoter will not be responsible for technical, hardware or software failures, lost, faulty or unavailable network connections or difficulties of any kind that may limit or prohibit entrants’ ability to participate in the promotion..
- The Promoter will be liable for any death or personal injury arising from its negligence. Nothing in these terms and conditions will exclude that liability or any other liability, which it is not lawful to exclude.
- Each entrant will indemnify (and will keep indemnified) the Promoter and its affiliates against all costs, claims, losses, damages, expenses (including legal expenses) or other liability arising as a result of a breach of these terms and conditions or negligence.
Data Protection and Privacy
- In accordance with the current guidelines that govern promotions in the UK, if you are a winning entrant, we may publish, or make available on request, information that confirms an award took place – that is your surname, county and, if applicable, the entry itself. You have the right to object, or to ask for less information to be made available. If you wish to object, or if you have any questions or comments regarding data and privacy, please contact our data team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a winning entrant, we may pass your personal data to the Administrator to administer the award of a Prize, or use your personal data to announce the winner and for reasonable promotional purposes connected to the promotion. Again, if you wish to object, please contact the data team.
- The winner agrees to grant the Promoter a non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence, for the full period of any intellectual property rights in the winning recipe and any accompanying materials, to use, display, publish, transmit, copy, edit, alter, store, re-format and sub-licence the winning recipe and any accompanying materials in order to produce the beer to be sold in the Marston’s Brewery Shop and related activities.
- By entering, entrants agree to these terms and conditions
- All winning entrants agree to participate in any reasonable publicity arranged by the Promoter without recompense.
- The decision of the Promoter is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The name and county of the Prize winners can be obtained for up to 6 months following the last Quiz by sending a self-addressed envelope to the Promoter’s address set out above citing the name of the promotion.
- The Promoter reserves the right to eliminate or disqualify any entries or entrants who the Promoter has reasonable grounds for believing are in breach of these conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel the Prize draw or amend these terms and conditions without prior notice at any time, for whatever reason, and without liability to any entrants for doing so. Please check these terms and conditions regularly as any changes are effective immediately.
- The rights and remedies of the Promoter under these terms and conditions are without prejudice to its rights under the law.
- These terms and conditions shall not create any rights or benefits enforceable by any third party by virtue of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
- These terms and conditions are made under English law. Any dispute or claim that an entrant or the Promoter brings in relation to or in connection with these terms and conditions or the promotion will be decided on the basis of English law by the English courts alone.
- It is not the intention of this promotion in any way to encourage people to consume excessive amounts of alcohol. The Promoter encourages responsible drinking.
- If you have any questions or comments regarding this promotion, or these terms, please contact us at the address listed at paragraph 16 of these terms or using the Contact Form on the Promoter’s Website (https://www.marstonsbrewery.co.uk/).